The time we spend in airports is usually fairly frantic by nature. We are either scurrying around trying to check in on the flight or arriving from another country, absolutely exhausted. Sometimes we do not even have the time to grab a bite to eat and that is really a shame. Some airports have really made the effort when it comes to making sure the passengers are looked after. Would it be so difficult to arrive a few hours early and kick back before our long haul flights? Here we take a look at the way some airports have put others to shame with their excellent catering facilities.
Evolution Of Airport Dining
In years gone by we would associate airport dining with stale sandwiches and a lukewarm cup of tea. Thankfully this rather grim stereotype has all but vanished into thin air. Nowadays we can enjoy a wide range of quality choices, but which ones are the best?
The Best Airport Eateries
• Porta Gaig – Barcelona El Prat Airport – This restaurant specializes in Catalan food and is run by Charles Gaig who holds a Michelin star. He also runs another restaurant in the center of Barcelona. The interior has been tastefully designed by the architect Richard Bofill. Gaig's specialty dish is roasted Prat chicken and some lovely side dishes featuring eggplant and zucchini.
• Salt Lick BBQ – Austin Bergstrom Airport, Texas – This airport diner serves up delicious Texan beef brisket and pork ribs. It is headed up by a team of BBQ experts and also has a large online ordering facility for larger events.
• Tortas Frontera – Chicago O'Hare Airport – As the name suggests, this is a Mexican style eatery offering traditional Mexican fare with a few twists. Fresh meat-filled sandwiches are the favorite but they also have a yoghurt bar for the more health aware travelers amongst us.
• Bubbles Seafood & Wine Bar – Amsterdam Schipol Airport – The only European airport to make it in the top ten. This offers the travelers a delicious line in seafood and includes raw herring with fresh bread and onions amongst its favorites.
• Obrycki's – Baltimore-Washington Airport – This was originally a neighborhood eatery in nearby Fells Town. They offer seafood enthusiast's dream when it comes to quality and selection. Mouthwatering crabcakes using jumbo lump crabmeat is among the delicious fare you can sample here.
• Crust – LaGuardia Airport, New York City – This Pizza restaurant is one of the world's best with a huge selection of New York-style pizza combinations on offer. You can design your own combination or choose one of the Neapolitan favorites. Whatever you decide, you will not leave this airport a hungry traveler!
• Five Guys – Washington Dulles International Airport – Not just a hamburger joint, President Obama is a firm fan and if it's good enough for the US President … you know the rest! They will design your bespoke burger and offer some mouthwatering extras to tantalize your traveling taste buds. With limitless toppings the only problem you will have, is when to say no!